Zulus – On the workbench

I painted up my first batch of zulu warriors.  The models are produced by Empress Miniatures.  I wouldn’t call them a unit yet.  I just pulled the first 18 models that I assembled and started painting them up.  It’s my first foray into painting African skin tones, and I didn’t want to mess up an assembly line of 36 models as I went.  The mininatures are produced by Empress Miniatures.  I based them on 20mm sheet metal bases and applied pumice gel to the bottom with a palette knife.  I then primed the whole miniature with black gesso. [Note: for these models I would suggest attaching the weapons on first and then priming.  I didn’t do that.  It really didn’t affect the painting of them at all.  However, I do suggest painting the shields separately, as they are very large and can block the brushwork on the zulu.].  After priming I block painted the miniature with various paints ranging from GW foundation paint to craft paint.  I then gave it a very dark brown wash.  For the skin tones, I only added one highlight of brown and a few other areas received some drybrushing.  The whole batch took less than a week to put together (I paint for a few hours a day quite late at night).  I’m pleased with the results, but I think the skin tones could use a bit of tweaking.

Empress Miniatures - ZulusEmpress Miniatures - ZulusEmpress Miniatures - ZulusEmpress Miniatures - ZulusEmpress Miniatures - Zulus

Advertisements

One response to “Zulus – On the workbench

  1. You are amazingly talented. Those look GREAT!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s