Here are photos of the miniatures, including some from Cavalade Wargames (www.cavalcadewargames.com). I chose the subjects due to the contrast in black and white or the abundance of color.
Category Archives: Empress Miniatures
Here are some pictures of my latest Colonial Brits made by Empress Miniatures. I took some tips and painted the pants much darker and added the red stripe. I also enjoyed watching Zulu while painting these.
I had a slow painting month in April. Work committments, a vacation and nice weather has kept me from the painting table. However, I did manage to paint another batch of 18 odd Zulus. I used lighter colors on the highlights of the skin tones, but I was very messy with it. I’m not sure they are better or worse than my last batch. Now on the workbench are a second batch of colonial Brits. I hate painting those whites!
I painted up my first batch of zulu warriors. The models are produced by Empress Miniatures. I wouldn’t call them a unit yet. I just pulled the first 18 models that I assembled and started painting them up. It’s my first foray into painting African skin tones, and I didn’t want to mess up an assembly line of 36 models as I went. The mininatures are produced by Empress Miniatures. I based them on 20mm sheet metal bases and applied pumice gel to the bottom with a palette knife. I then primed the whole miniature with black gesso. [Note: for these models I would suggest attaching the weapons on first and then priming. I didn’t do that. It really didn’t affect the painting of them at all. However, I do suggest painting the shields separately, as they are very large and can block the brushwork on the zulu.]. After priming I block painted the miniature with various paints ranging from GW foundation paint to craft paint. I then gave it a very dark brown wash. For the skin tones, I only added one highlight of brown and a few other areas received some drybrushing. The whole batch took less than a week to put together (I paint for a few hours a day quite late at night). I’m pleased with the results, but I think the skin tones could use a bit of tweaking.
I finally painted up the first releases of Empress Miniatures’ Victorian British I purchased through Age of Glory at Historicon. The castings were clean and crisp and painted well. They came out OK. I wish I had spent a bit more time thinking about how I wanted the whites to come out. They look pretty chalky compared to the painted versions on Empress’ website.
And for a little fun…on a Mumak…